The new G-mail inbox is amazing. While it is a turn off for some people, it’s really quite helpful to me. Google describes the new tabs as a way to “put you back in control so that you can see what’s new at a glance and decide which emails you want to read and when.” Click here to watch their Promotional video about the new Gmail Layout with tabs (2013).
The new inbox organizes all emails in separate categories. The categories are primary, social, promotions, updates and forums. Now this type of inbox is really helpful to me because of many reasons.
First reason is that I’m a regular forum member on various Google product forums and I receive loads of mails for the threads to which I post or subscribe to. Previously these mails used to appear along with other personal or important emails. But now these emails are isolated and stored in a completely new category.
The second best reason is that all promotional emails are identified and stored separately under promotions tab. So these kind of emails no longer get mixed with the emails which matter to me.
In the similar way, the social tab groups all the emails from social sites like Facebook, twitter, YouTube, etc. The updates tab groups all kinds of updates or notifications. For example: If a new comment is posted on my blog, I get an email notification which is available under updates tab. All other emails which are sent directly to my mail address are available under primary tab.
The New Layout in Brief
- Primary: person-to-person conversations and messages that don’t appear in other tabs
- Social: messages from social networks, media-sharing sites and other social websites
- Promotions: deals, offers, and other marketing emails
- Updates: auto-generated updates including confirmations, bills, receipts, bills, and statements
- Forums: messages from online groups, discussion boards, and mailing lists
Source for brief info – Lifehacker
How to enable the New Gmail Layout?
To enable the new layout, just follow the steps given below.
- Visit your Gmail Account.
- Click the settings icon on the very right.
- Click configure inbox.
- Now select the tabs which you would like to see.
- And hit save.