A Registry Cleaner simply helps to remove wrongly created references or invalid references pointing to a file (mostly a DLL file), a program or any other system data which does not exist anymore. These invalid references may be created due to one of the following reasons :
1) A system crash causing invalid entries
2) Poorly programmed Uninstaller leaving behind invalid entries
3) When a program is not uninstalled in a proper manner.
Or many other reasons.
These registry cleaner programs definitely clean the Windows registry. However comparing the benefits and dangers of these programs, I can say that these programs can be really dangerous if you don’t know what you are exactly doing. So if you are a beginner i would highly recommend not to use such programs on your windows computer. However if you are an advanced user and if you know what you are doing, then you can use registry cleaner at your own risk.
Can Registry Cleaner cause Problems in my Computer?
Yes. Registry Cleaners can cause trouble, especially if they are poorly programmed. In such a case where Registry Cleaner is poorly programmed, it can remove a valid reference in windows registry causing a program to stop working or in certain situations it can cause Windows to malfunction.
What to do without a Registry Cleaner?
- If you encounter any problem in windows registry, you can always do a Google search for finding out the cause and solution to your problem.
- You can also find troubleshooting guide for your windows version on Microsoft’s website.
- You can perform regular system scans for viruses, spyware, malware, etc.
Which problems are fixed by Registry Cleaners?
- Registry cleaners can fix problems like Missing DLLs, Unused file extensions, ActiveX and class issues, MUI Cache, Fonts, Obsolete softwares, etc.
I want to use a Registry Cleaner, Which one would you suggest?
If your problem is not fixed and still want to use a Registry Cleaner then I would suggest CCleaner. It is very simple and easy to use. There are many registry cleaners available out there, but i prefer CCleaner. You can also check out EasyCleaner if you don’t like CCleaner. Note that: Whenever you are messing up with Windows registry, Always use the registry backup feature of your Registry Cleaner. So in case if anything goes wrong you can always restore your backup.
Did you experience any problem using a Registry Cleaner?
- Yes. I have faced many problems with different registry cleaners. However with CCleaner, the problems have been reduced to some extent.
- After cleaning my windows registry, i faced a problem in which my webcam had stopped working. This was due to removal of driver references by registry cleaner. As you can see these were valid references, but registry cleaner failed to determine that these were valid and hence caused my webcam to malfunction.