FAT and FAT32 are basically flash drive formats. Any flash drive has a limited storage capacity to store a single file of large size (more than 4GB) . For eg: In FAT / FAT32, We cannot transfer a single file which is having size more than 4GB. So to overcome this problem we have to convert the flash drive’s format from FAT32 to NTFS. NTFS is a HARD DRIVE format which can store and can transfer any file of any size.
Follow the following steps to convert FAT or FAT 32 to NTFS :
- Connect your flash drive to computer. Close all the ongoing task..
- Click Start > Run > Type ‘cmd‘ and hit Enter.
- If you want to convert drive H (H:) enter the command ” vol h: ” in the cmd window , to find the volume label for the H: partition
- Then enter the command ” convert h: /fs:ntfs ” to convert the H: partition from FAT32 to NTFS.
- When prompted, enter the volume label for the partition (Volume label is nothing but the name of the drive)
- Wait for some seconds and its DONE.
- Close the command window and remove the flash drive and reconnect it and check the format of the flash drive. It should be NTFS now.
# Do not skip any step, Follow the steps exactly in the same order as shown above #
Note: This reduces the life span of flash drive to some extend. But its helpful to carry your heavy files with you.